Spring must be almost here; I have just heard that we can look forward to local asparagus being available within the next few weeks! As I love both asparagus and mushrooms, this is one of my favourite dishes. It is a delicious vegetarian meal and, without the cheese, suitable for vegans.
400 gr. fine wholemeal spaghetti - or your preferred pasta
16 small asparagus spears
250gr button mushrooms (or a mixture of exotic varieties), sliced
1 TB olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
2-3 TB finely chopped Italian parsley
Grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, add a little salt, add pasta and cook until al dente.
- Drain well and keep pasta warm.
- Steam the asparagus until cooked but still slightly crisp. (To prepare, snap off woody base of each stalk and discard.)
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, stir in garlic and mushrooms over high heat and cook until mushrooms soften, stirring often (3-4 minutes).
- Add the pasta and the asparagus and mix and toss with the pepper and parsley until reheated.
- Serve with a bowl of grated Parmesan.
A glass of Yarra Valley white or light, red wine is the perfect partner!
Ann Creber (The Good Life on 3MDR 97.1 FM, streaming on www.3mdr.com - Live to air Monday 3.00-5.00 P.M.)