As Spring days lengthen, we tend to look towards lighter/fresh flavoured dishes. This is an excellent recipe to serve with grilled meats or as a light vegetarian dish.
Although vegetables are still expensive, these small quantities still provide a reasonably priced, delicious and healthy dish, especially if you shop at a local farmers' market or wayside stall.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 8 stalks asparagus (trimmed and sliced)
- 1 small zucchini (sliced lengthwise and sliced)
- 8 snow peas (topped and tailed and sliced in two)
- 1/2 red capsicum (julienned)
- 4 spring onions (sliced diagonally)
- 1 teaspoon (fresh thyme leaves)
- 2 tablespoons of virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoons of butter
- Salt and pepper
- 6 chives (finely chopped)
Heat the oil and butter in a wok, stir fry vegetables commencing with zucchini and asparagus. Add capsicum, snow peas, spring onions and thyme leaves. Add salt and pepper, stir quickly until cooked but still crunchy.
Sprinkle on chives.
I like to add a handful of toasted cashew nuts at the last minute!
* Image courtesy of eatingwell.com