As the days lengthen and warm up we tend to spend more time outdoors which makes the Dandenongs a wonderful time of the year to visit. Wattle is in bloom, tree ferns are sprouting vivid new fronds, orchards are glazed with the pink and white of blossom and all the weekend farmers' markets offer an abundance of tempting new season produce.
This is an easy recipe to prepare in the morning and whip under the grill during mealtime. Serve with rice or couscous, and a tossed salad.
- 500-grams of skinned chicken thighs (cut into bite-sized portions)
- 1/2 lemon or 1 lime (Juiced)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon hot chili paste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of light olive or peanut oil
- 16 small mushroom caps (stems trimmed)
- 1 small red capsicum (seeded and cut into chunks)
- 4 small zucchinis (cut into thick slices)
- Satay sticks
Combine chicken portions and vegetables into a bowl, together with citrus juice, spices, and oil. Thread these alternately onto moistened satay sticks. Cover lightly and refrigerate until cooking time.
To cook, place under a moderately hot and preheated grill then cook for 5-6 minutes on each side. Alternately, they can be cooked on an oiled barbecue or in a non-stick frying pan.
* Image courtesy of Pinterest