For profiles on cycling in the Dandenong Ranges, see our Things To Do section which lists some of the more popular routes.
A Guide To Mountain Biking
- Obtain a map of the area you wish to explore and determine which areas are open for Mountain Biking. The local bike shops are a good place to start.
- Go with small groups. This will reduce environmental damage and be more enjoyable.
- If taking photos or video share with others #dandenongranges.
- Make an itinerary. Everyone should understand and be comfortable with the route. Make sure you let someone know where you are going and when to expect you back in case something happens. Not all tracks and trails will have mobile reception so keep this in mind.
- Wear a helmet, eye protectioon and other safety gear.
- Take enough water.
- Be considerate of others on the road or trail.
- Obey all signs.
- Yield the right of way to those passing or travelling uphill.
- To ensure safe riding with minimal environmnetal impacts, please obererve the following:
- Stay on the road or on designated mountain bike trails. Do not ride 'off-road' or on tracks closed to bikes as you may damage the environment you have come to enjoy.
- Stay away from wet muddy areas, as they are very prone to damamge. The tracks you leave behind channel the water when it rains and this leads to erosion.
- Leave no trace. Take all rubbish home.
- Make sure you have fun.